Reef-World and Paralenz Launch Environmental Scholarship For Dive Guides
The Reef-World Foundation – the international coordinator of the UN Environment’s Green Fins initiative – and action camera developer Paralenz have announced the launch of a scholarship campaign to help scuba diving guides receive their environmental certifications.
The Dive Guide e-Course Scholarship Fund has been created in response to feedback from dive guides who have passed the course – which is free to take – but who are not financially able to cover the certification cost of £19 (US$24), which allows them to download a personalised electronic certificate. Paralenz has started the campaign with a donation to the fund of £1,000, which will enable 50 dive guides to receive their Green Fins Dive Guide e-Course certification.
Dive guides who need assistance to pay for their certifications can apply for the scholarship through the Green Fins website. Funds will begin to be allocated once 50 per cent of the campaign goal has been reached, according to a Green Fins press release.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the dive guides
- must have completed and passed all modules of the Green Fins Dive Guide e-Course
- be able to demonstrate they or their employer are not financially able to purchase the certificate
- be a national of a country which receives official development assistance from the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - the list of countries can be found here.
'Since the launch of the Green Fins Dive Guide e-Course earlier this year, hundreds of dive professionals around the world have taken the course and learned how to minimise the negative environmental impacts associated with diving,' said Chloe Harvey, Director at The Reef-World Foundation, 'But now we need your help. Our ethos at Reef-World and the purpose of the Green Fins initiative is to empower and educate ALL dive professionals – no matter what their background or financial status – to protect coral reefs,' she said. 'We’re so grateful to the team at Paralenz for funding 50 dive guides to benefit from a Green Fins Dive Guide e-Course certificate which proves their status as an environmentally conscious dive professional. Please give generously and help support a dive guide in their sustainability journey today.'
Jacob Dalhoff, Partnership Manager at Paralenz, said: 'To build meaningful and impactful partnerships is a big part of our ethos. As a company with a passion for the ocean, we need to do everything we can to raise awareness about how to preserve it - Our partnership with The Reef-World Foundation and the Green Fins Dive Guide e-Course initiative is contributing a lot to this mission.'
Supporters who wish to help dive guides receive their certifications can also donate to the Scholarship Campaign. Donors who support the Dive Guide e-Course Scholarship Fund will receive thanks in the form of their name (or that of their business) mentioned:
- Between £20 and £79 – as a thank you in Reef-World’s 2019-2020 Annual Report
- Between £80 and £229 – on Green Fins social media (once on the channel of your choice: Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) and in Reef-World’s 2019-2020 Annual Report
- Between £300 and £699 - on Green Fins and Reef-World’s social media (two mentions in total across Reef-World/Green Fins’ channels) and in Reef-World’s 2019-2020 Annual Report
- Between £700 and £1,399 - on Green Fins and Reef-World’s social media (two mentions) and your name, logo and company website included in Reef-World’s 2019-2020 Annual Report
- Above £1,400 - 1) Promotion on Green Fins and Reef-World’s social media (two mentions across Reef-World/Green Fins’ channels); 2) Name, logo, company website and 100 words about the business included in Reef-World’s 2019-2020 Annual Report; 3) Company logo included on the Reef-World and Green Fins websites for one year; 4) Opportunity to provide a guest blog post for the Reef-World or Green Fins website.
Dive guides who wish to be considered for the scholarship can visit www.greenfins.net/green-fins-dive-guide-scholarship-applications to apply. Donations to the Green Fins Dive Guide Scholarship Fund can be made at www.greenfins.net/appeal/sponsor-a-dive-guide.