New Cold-Water Exploration Regulator From Apeks
Launched by Apeks on 21 October, the new XL4 regulator is designed with the cold-water exploration diver in mind.
Weighing in at a tiny 905g (DIN version), the XL4 is the lightest ever cold-water regulator made by Apeks, and includes their latest cold-water innovation, an over-moulded first stage endcap that reduces ice build-up around the first stage. This technology greatly reduces the risk of a free flow in low temperatures, and cold water performance is further improved by heat exchangers on the first and second stage.
Designed for technical divers looking to reduce the weight of their setup, the XL4 can also be used as a compact regulator for stage cylinders, especially useful for the technical exploration diver with a large amount of equipment.
Although it's geared towards the technical diving community, recreational divers looking to shave weight from their kit bags to combat excess baggage charges may also wish to take a closer look.
Features and Specifications
- Compact machined first stage based on the expedition tested Apeks DS4 platform.
- Innovative over-moulded first-stage endcap and environmental diaphragm helps prevent ice build-up that can cause first stage free flow in extreme circumstances. Also protects the first stage from impact damage.
- Large surface area heat exchanger diaphragm clamp helps increase the gas temperature inside the first stage, resulting in improved cold water performance.
- Unique over-balanced diaphragm design – as the diver descends, the over-balancing feature allows the medium pressure gas in the hose to increase at a faster rate than ambient. This results in superior performance at depth.
- Compact and lightweight second stage improves comfort and helps reduce jaw fatigue on long duration dives.
- High performance pneumatically balanced lever operated poppet valve.
- Large, over moulded self-flushing and controllable purge button.
- Ergonomic Venturi lever is easy to use and locate.
- Flexible nylon braided hose has better cold water performance than a traditional rubber hose.
- Standard metallic hose connection for interchangeability.
- Comfo-bite mouthpiece has a unique bridge that fits across the upper palate and does not require bite pressure to stay in place.
- Re-useable mouthpiece clip makes it simple to change mouthpieces in the field.
- Durable and flexible rubber exhaust tee provides excellent bubble diversion.
XL4 Regulator (DIN/YOKE): £339.00
Stage 3 Set: £479.00
Stage 4 Set: £540.00
Nitrox (M26): £363.00