PADI Launches Mermaid Programme for 'Water Enthusiasts'
PADI has launched a new 'Mermaid' training programme, 'designed to provide water-enthusiasts an additional outlet for exploring their underwater passion.'
The course is a stand-alone programme and doesn’t require scuba or freediver instructor ratings as an underlying certification. The programme is split into four student and three instructor-level ratings:
- PADI Discover Mermaid Experience – no prerequisites
- PADI Basic Mermaid Course – ability to swim at least 25m and float comfortably at the surface for at least 3 minutes
- PADI Mermaid Course – ability to swim at least 50m and float comfortably on the surface for 5 minutes
- PADI Advanced Mermaid Course – ability to swim at least 100m and float comfortably on the surface for at least 10 minutes
PADI Mermaid Professional Levels
- Basic Mermaid Instructor – can teach Discover Mermaid experience and Basic Mermaid course
- Mermaid Instructor – can teach Discover Mermaid experience, Basic Mermaid course, Mermaid course and Advanced Mermaid course
- Mermaid Instructor Trainer – can teach Mermaid Instructor course and orientation
The programme is currently available in English and Simplified Chinese