TopKit KitReviews

Eco Coffee Grounds in Aqualung's New Base Layer

Aqualung Fusion Plus main


Aqualung's new base layer uses fabric made from used ground coffee beans

Aqualung has released a new two-piece base layer for men and women, which has been made with a material made from repurposed coffee grounds. The environmentally friendly S.Café® material has natural odour-absorbing properties and could well become a popular addition to the range of fabrics used in diving.

The average cup of coffee uses just 0.2% of the coffee bean, with the remaining 99.8% becoming coffee grounds. By recycling the used coffee grounds into yarn, the once wasted 99.8% is put to good use.

But it's not just about it's environmentally friendly properties that make the material notable, the material also helps create good wicking properties. S.Café® technology takes the used coffee grounds and using a low-temperature, high-pressure and energy-efficient process, combines the used coffee grounds into the yarn surface.This changes the characteristics of the fibre, improving the wicking performance of the fabric as it draws moisture away from the body and offering faster drying times compared to other fabrics. The micro-pores on S.Café® coffee grounds also absorb odours and reflect UV rays, ensuring that perspiration is transported rapidly away from the skin to keep the body warm and comfortable. When used in combination with other Aqualung thermal wear, the moisture continues to wick up and through the other garments.

Other features include thumb loops for ease of donning thermal garments over top, a hidden hip pocket and in the women's top a zippered side pocket.

Available in both male and female fits, the leggings and tops are sold separately and cost £55 each.



Love diving? You'll love these. Sign up today to immediately download our unique FREE gifts -

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 WRECKS - DIVE's 70-page, beautifully illustrated, colour guide to the world’s best wrecks

SCUBA STORIES - DIVE's collection f real life stories where divers, who have got themselves into perilous situations, describe how they reacted and what actions they took to ensure they lived to tell the tale

PACIFICHighlights of the Pacific - Dancing mantas in Hawaii • The Best Diving in the World, Galápagos, Cocos, Malpelo & Socorro • Mass Spawning Events in Palau

Sidebar SUBSCRIBE large2

Destinations Spotlight

Need inspiration for your next dive trip? Try one of our featured destinations from DIVE's travel partners.

sidebar philippines sidebar bahamas sidebar mexico sidebar fiji sidebar st helena 2020 Sidebar Egypt sidebar banner sabah sidebar banner belize sidebar banner south africa

DIVE Partners

sidebar banner egypt new ceningan divers ad 300x100 LH 300 min giphy subex Wakatobi Siladen Aggressor Fisheye Dive Worldwide gozo banner Arenui

Read DIVE magazine

DIVE magazine is available to read on many devices. Simply click one one of the options below

PCMac final
Apple finalAndroid final

Like what you see?

Join us on social and keep updated daily...